Friday, July 17, 2015

Marvel's Ant-Man - A Spoiler-Free Review


From the moment I had heard they were thinking of using Scott Lang, I had a bad feeling about this movie. I grew up on Roger Stern's Avengers and loved the way he restored Pym to his rightful place as proud founding father of the team. Scott Lang seemed an odd choice, but then again so was choosing to do an Ant-Man movie.

I went into the movie really expecting not to like it especially after seeing some early numbers on rottentomatoes.com. But, it turns out I really enjoyed it and it was nice to see the movie's rating climb up to 75%. Marvel succeeds again at pulling off a hit, leveraging some great humor and setting up a really fun heist feel. The acting was solid and cast really had a dynamic together. There were a few flaws in the story that I could overlook as I was swept up in the drama.



I really liked how Marvel continues to shape their cinematic universe, establishing a rich history and backstory. There are some really great tie-ins and guest appearances that will make you smile. It may not rank in the top tier of the Marvel movies, but Ant-Man was a lot of fun. I can help but wonder what the original script by Edgar Wright was like. Perhaps in the DVD bonus features, we'll get a glimpse of what might have been...

If you enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man has a similar feel with a great supporting cast who are almost more co-protagonists. Don't miss this great summer movie!

And make sure you stay for the two extra scenes, one mid-credits, and one after the credits.

2 comments:

  1. pass. i'll wait till it shows up at the library like I did with GOTG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed too. Not as good as 'Avengers' or 'Guardians of the Galaxy', but it's a fun movie. Won't say anything else, don't want to spoil it for anyone.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails